lundi 27 mars 2023

Prendre soin de ses ancêtres noirs dans les colections de squelettes


A Bioarcheology of the Self: Caring for Black Ancestors in Skeletal Collections



Talk by Dr. Aja Lans: Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University

Monday, April 3, 2023
Thomson House Ballroom
12:30-3pm


This talk discusses how my identity as a Black anthropologist influences and strengthens my work as a bioarchaeologist. My research focuses on the histories of Black people whose bodies have been curated in anthropological and medical skeletal collections. Such studies require an understanding of the ethical implications of working with human remains and descendant communities in ways that are rarely sufficiently addressed in anthropology. Accordingly, my research and writing are informed by a broader body of social theory and draw from Black feminism, critical race theory, and the history of science and medicine. I will discuss how I developed my research topics and the obstacles I encountered during the process.


Please register for the event with this link: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/a-bioarchaeology-of-the-self-tickets-591697532247
or with the QR code.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire